- Introduction: A Top-Level Look at the Future of Federal Medicine
- Military Health System in Time of Transition as Conflicts End
- Army Medicine: Redefining Its Role in the Generation of a Ready and Resilient Force
- Air Force Medicine: Averting an Identity Crisis
- Moving Forward with Reforming the Indian Health Service
- The Clinical Pharmacy Specialist's Growing Provider Role in VA
- Public Health Service Pharmacy: Accelerating Transformation
- Military Pain Management’s Future: Less Invasive, More Data-Driven Techniques
- Navy Medicine: Strong, Agile and Ready
- Telemental Health in VA: A New Source of Support for Veterans
PHS pharmacists will continue to engage in many pharmacy-related initiatives within the Department of Health and Human Services and with external customers. In 2012, the Million Hearts campaign was launched for a concerted national effort to target cardiovascular health and prevent one million heart attacks and strokes over five years. Many federal agencies, as well as PHS pharmacists have joined this campaign to help achieve its goals. Pharmacists have a unique capacity — based on the expertise to manage chronic conditions and accessibility within the communities — to function in a vital role in this effort.
PHS Pharmacy also collaborates with external stakeholders to improve the nation’s health. For example, in January 2012, the American Pharmacists Association Foundation convened a consortium on pharmacists’ role in patient care. PHS pharmacists worked with the foundation to develop a white paper, “Consortium Recommendations for Advancing Pharmacists’ Patient Care Services and Collaborative Practice Agreements.” This outlines recommendations for broader integration of collaborative practice agreements and pharmacist-delivered patient services throughout the profession. PHS Pharmacy will continue to partner both internally and externally to transform the profession as we serve our mission to protect, promote and advance the health and safety of the nation.
In 2013, we seek to further PHS Pharmacy’s impact. Our officers have chosen to be commissioned in PHS Pharmacy to lead — to positively impact the health of the nation and not to be impacted by it. In 2013, this commitment will drive us to continue to forge partnerships and be a catalyst to help accelerate transformation in our profession for our patients, the health system and the nation’s health for 2013 and beyond.